Ten Year Vision:
- Dental disease in Colorado’s children is significantly reduced.
- Colorado has an expanded oral health workforce developed to improve access to care for underserved populations.
GOAL 1: Improve access to preventive oral health care and community-based dental services
Prevention – Increase the availability of oral disease prevention programs targeted to children and adolescents. Funding interests:
- School-based dental sealant programs
- Co-location of preventive dental services into medical care
- Prevention programs targeted to pregnant women and children up to 5 years of age
Access to Care -- Strengthen and expand the oral health safety net so that traditionally underserved populations are able to access quality, affordable care. Funding interests:
- Dental clinic operations including staff, equipment and supplies.
- Capital for dental clinic expansions, renovations, or the development of new points of care.
- Technical assistance to improve dental clinic operations and sustainability.
Policy –- Develop local and state oral health policies to promote access to care for underserved populations.
GOAL 2: Develop new and innovative oral health delivery systems to address workforce shortages.
"Virtual Dental Home"-- Develop and test the Virtual Dental Home Program to determine the financial and operational feasibility and scalability of the model for Colorado. Caring for Colorado will fund this project as a special initiative, via a separate funding opportunity.
Click here for more information about the Virtual Dental Home and the initial demonstration project in California.
New Models of Care -- Explore, develop and promote new models of oral health care that address the needs of the underserved. Funding interests:
- Projects that utilize the current workforce differently.
- Projects that engage other health professions (medical, public health, nursing) to expand access to preventive care for underserved populations.